Sunday, April 15, 2012

Let the Adventure Begin

Blogging...I have never even kept a diary or journal, so this should be a new experience.  I decided to begin a blog when I found out that I would be deploying to Kuwait last year. So, I guess we should start at the beginning and why I joined the Air Force.

I don't know why, but something about the military always intrigued me.  I am not sure if it was the respect that I saw them receive or just the idea that I would get to experience something that very few people volunteer to do.  Either way, I was accepted into the Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program in 2008 and they funded my way through school to become a Physician Assistant.  For those of you who don't know - a PA is a midlevel healthcare provider who supplements physicians in providing patient care.  My scope of practice is quite extensive and I love my job.

I graduated from PA school in August 2010 and commissioned as a 1Lt and attended commissioned officer training shortly after that.  We then moved to Salt Lake City, Utah, where I am stationed.  I work at the clinic on base in something called the Airmen Clinic.  I am the primary care provider for approximately 1300 active duty Airmen.  The best part of my job are the people who I get to take care of and the people I work with.

In October 2011, I was told that I would be deploying to Kuwait in the summer of 2012, and I have been preparing little by little ever since then.  Hence the blog - I want to keep my friends and family in the loop when I am on the other side of the world.  This is the beginning of my Air Force Adventure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment