Guernsey, Wyoming is a metropolis in western Wyoming where I had the pleasure of attending CAST for the first 12 days in May. It was an awesome time where I had the opportunity to learn many life skills (hopefully that I will never have to use) to prepare for my upcoming deployment. Prior to describing my experience, I need to insert a "hero" shot to show my daily attire....
Allright, lets start from head to toe...helmet, ballistic protective eyewear, radio with headset, IBA vest - 2 plates in the front and back, 2 on the sides weighing 40 lbs, M16 rifle, vest filled with supplies, i.e. camel bak, magazines for weapons, gloves etc, M9 handgun on right leg, and finally knee pads.
So for 12 days, there were various activities including mounted ops (I learned to drive a Humvee!!), urban ops, active shooter scenario, shooting at a pop up range, and pretty much being relatively legit when it came to potential combat scenarios.
Lessons learned:
1. I actually like firing the weapons
2. A 40 lb tactical vest is REALLY heavy. I am thankful that I don't have to wear that on a regular basis, and understand now why so many of our disability claims at the VA are back/knee/shoulder related - definitely potential here for improvement and perhaps classes at the HAWC (health and wellness center) with the ex physiologist to prepare deployers for this extra load they will be carrying on a daily basis
3. It is a good thing that I am not the one out there actually doing this for real, thanks to those that do!
Did I mention that I did a controlled rollover in an MRAP (mine resistant ambush protected) vehicle? Me and 7 other individuals were crammed in this simulation vehicle yelling....ROLLOVER,ROLLOVER, ROLLOVER, actually very comical.
Again with the warrior pose, it seemed appropriate :)
Firing the M16 at the range
Trying to hit the little green guys at the pop up range - I hit the one at 300 meters!
Humvees might be wide, but they feel pretty cramped with body armor and weapons, and then add a gunner in the turret, not so spacious
ROLLOVER in the MRAP
Urban ops with paintball guns, hence the masks and "hockey shorts" for protection of the man parts/ovaries
Field trip to ruts from the Oregon Trail in Guernsey
Camp in the background
Unwinding on our last night.
Overall, this was a great trip where I learned many new things. The instructors were first class, and taught those of us who will be inside the wire what it would be like if that weren't the case. Thanks to them, and one step closer to Kuwait!


No comments:
Post a Comment